Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Touch of Culture - The Ballet

On Saturday I attended my first ever ballet.  I saw 'Swan Lake' performed by the Korean National Ballet Company. A friend of mine likes this sort of thing and invited me, I was not sure if I would like it but I figured you have to try everything once.



It actually was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, it kept my interest most of the way through. There was a bit in the second act where all the swans were dancing to some very soothing music that I found my eyelids drooping a bit.  After talking with the rest of the group afterwards however, I found I was not the only one - even the more enthusiastic ballet watchers had thought that part was very lulling.

I also thought the end was a bit weird as I was under the impression that the main characters die. It did not seem like that unless I was misinterpreting (which could easily be that case as its all interpretation) - it just seemed a lot happier at the end than I was expecting. Not a bad thing but when it ended I was a bit confused.

It was nice to get out and do something a bit different, I don't think it's something I would do on a regular basis but I would be open to seeing something like 'The Nutcracker' perhaps at another time.

The ballet was in the Opera House of the Seongnam Arts Center which was very easy to get to for me.  From Ingye-dong in Suwon you can take the red 4000 bus.  This bus takes you right to the Arts Center and it only took about an hour to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment